At PennyGranny, we recognise the importance of protecting the privacy of the personal information we collect from our customers and prospective customers. We are committed to and bound by the Australian Privacy Principles under the Privacy Act 1988 Cth (as amended).
1. What personal information do we collect, and how we collect it?
Personal information is defined by the Act “as information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable”.
When you hire a Portable Building or any Equipment from us, we will request that you supply us with some or all of the following:
- Your name, street address, email address, telephone, mobile and facsimile numbers, your company or business name to identify you, and for us to contact you.
- Your credit card details for the purpose of paying your Hire Charges.
- Details of your Drivers Licence, or a photocopy or digital image of it, so that we can confirm your identity, your residence, and (where applicable) your legal right to drive one of our vehicles (for some Equipment other than vehicles, we may also require details of relevant licences or operator competency certificates).
We collect your personal information from our Hire Agreements, our Payment request form, or what you tell us or show us when you call us, or browse on our website.
We also collect personal information from credit reporting agencies and from searches we conduct, including the PPS Register.
We do not seek to collect any sensitive background information, political beliefs etc.
2. How do we use your personal information?
All information we collect is required for our business purposes, which includes:
- responding to your enquiries or requests
- to provide you with the Portable Building or Equipment you wish to hire
- to help us to identify other products and services that might be beneficial to you, and to inform you about them and items of interest
- to evaluate the needs of our customers and to develop new products
- internal accounting and administration
- to protect you and us from fraud
- Direct Marketing
When you visit our website, we may collect the above information from you if you provide it to us. We may also collect logging information about website activities (e. g. date and time of visits, the number of pages viewed, your operating system etc. ) using “cookies”, as commonly used by most other websites. A cookie is a packet of information that allows the hosting computer to identify and interact with you. The cookies do not identify any personal information but may provide us with statistical information that we can use to analyse our services. If your computer does not allow the placement of cookies, your navigation on our website may be restricted.
Your personal information may be shared with any members of the PennyGranny team.
We assume we have your consent to use your personal information for the above purposes, in particular, for the purposes of sending information to you about our products and services, unless you advise us not to. If you do not want us to contact you or send you information, please let us know.
3. What equipment data do we collect, how do we get it and what do we use it for?
PennyGranny’s Portable Buildings, Equipment, Vehicles and Tools may contain on-board devices (such as a GPS Device) which enable the Equipment to be connected to the internet and to send commands to and receive certain information from the Equipment, including geolocation data from a global positioning system and other data including but not limited to speed, battery voltage and ignition status of such Equipment.
By hiring any Portable building or Equipment from us you expressly agree to PennyGranny using a GPS Device on such Equipment during the rental period, and to us collecting, using and retaining information from the GPS Device, and that PennyGranny is the owner of that data.
Information from the GPS Device may be used:
- to notify us that the Equipment requires maintenance or servicing;
- to provide information to the police or other authorities in the event that the Portable Building or Equipment is stolen, is not returned at the end of the hire period or is being used unlawfully;
- in the event of an accident or incident relating to the Portable Building or Equipment during the hire period, e. g. to verify the location of the Portable Building or Equipment at the time of the alleged accident or incident;
- to identify the exact location of the Equipment in the event of a reported breakdown and to provide that location to breakdown responders;
- to identify whether the Equipment is being used in an area prohibited under the hire contract conditions or in a manner that does not comply with manufacturer specifications or the terms of hire;
- for any other purpose permitted under the Privacy Act or any other law.
4. Disclosure of your personal information to parties outside PennyGranny
As a general principle, PennyGranny will not provide any unrelated party (including any overseas recipients) with any personal information it has collected about you. Exceptions may occur where:
- PennyGranny believes in good faith that you have consented;
- We use external service providers e. g. mailing houses to mail promotional material to you. The information will be provided to our external service providers on a confidential basis for the purposes of our business only, and we will take reasonable steps to ensure that it is dealt with according to the same high standards as we use;
- a law enforcement agency, or other government agency, is exercising its legal authority and has asked PennyGranny to provide access to that information;
- you are in default of a hire contract or other contractual commitment to us, in which case we may need to release your details and the relevant history of your transactions with us to our legal advisers, debt collection agencies, credit reference bodies, or industry associations.
- we are asked to share that information with a credit bureau or reporting agency.
PennyGranny also uses Google Analytics to collect and process information. For further details please view “How Google uses data when you use our partners’ sites or apps” (located at www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/).
Other than the purposes above, we will not disclose your information unless with your consent, or as required or authorised by law.
5. Protecting your personal information
We store all information electronically. We take all reasonable care to ensure that the personal information about you is protected from loss, misuse or alteration. PennyGranny will securely de-identify or dispose of personal information when we have no further need to use it, or when we are required by law to do so.
6. Gaining access to your personal information
You have a right to access the personal information we store about you. We provide you with access to the Client’s portal.
7. Keeping your personal information accurate and up to date
If you find that the information we hold about you is inaccurate, incomplete, or out of date, please let us know, and we will take reasonable steps to correct it.
8. Opting Out
You may opt out of receiving promotional materials from us, by emailing email@example.com
9. Dealing with us
You can refuse to provide us with your personal information if you are making general inquiries about our products and services. However, we may not be able to answer your requests in some cases, or conduct business with you, if you refuse to disclose the personal information that we require.
We will investigate the issue and endeavour to provide you with a written response within 28 days of receipt of your written query. Sometimes we might not be able to provide you with a written response within the timeframe specified. If that is the case, we will contact you and explain the reason for the delay and give you a new timeframe for a written response.
You may also direct your issue to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioners website.